Monday, July 14, 2008

Post Flood Alternatives and Response

From: Douglas W. Jones [jones@cs.uiowa.edu]
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2008 10:26
Subject: More thoughts on post-flood alternatives I've written up some additional ideas about post flood alternatives for the neighborhood.--

http://www.cs.uiowa.edu/~jones/flood08/alternatives-1.pdf

In this, I point out that unless the city takes an aggressive proactive stance, what remains of the neighborhood is at risk of becoming a seriously blighted area as owner occupants move out of the neighborhood and houses are minimally restored as rental property or maintained as stabilized ruins in the hope of a buyout.

Doug Jones
jones@cs.uiowa.edu

and the response:

Doug, I concur that the majority of the property in the neighborhood will be rebuilt, and that this juncture - deciding on contractors and whether tocreate a rental property or rehabilitate a home to live in - will go a longway toward determining the future of the neighborhood.

http://www.cs.uiowa.edu/~jones/flood08/alternatives-1.pdf

Ranked ordered themes expressed to me:

1) "The buyout will not happen for me, and I do not want to move back, so I
will put the least money possible into rehabilitation, and rent or sell theproperty." Insured and uninsured alike.

2) "I am waiting until the insurance adjustment is decided. If I can payoffmy mortgage, I will take a loss and demolish the structure and sell theproperty". Theme 1 is second on the list for these folks.

3)"My only choice is to move back, even though I know that the neighborhoodwill not be safe from flooding that is happening more frequently".

4) "There is no way I can afford to rebuild so I'll board up the house andwait and hope there is a buyout".

5) "I plan to demolish my house."

6) "It won't happen again in my lifetime and I like the river, so I will rebuild as soon as possible".

Those folks who can payoff their mortgage with insurance funds, of course have the most options. Most of these folks live (have their property in) the100 year flood plain, since insurance was required in order to buy thehouse. I believe city officials are working very hard to pursue - not necessarily on our behalf, but the city's - HMGP funds.

We need to make a neighborhood again, whether we plan to live there or not, if houses will remain. My wish would be for the city to be confirmed in the number of folks in the 100 year flood plain with insurance, so as to be able to on the one hand know that it may not cost as much (relatively speaking) and on the other hand be able to articulate with confidence that, regardless of the fruits of a buyout, action will be taken structurally to mitigate future flooding in PVT. All this is to say we move forward best if we recognize most of us will probably still be there. Our future meetings as a neighborhood should embrace this reality. I will also say, though, I do like the idea of leveling our house (per your drawing) for a street/levee.

Best, Steve

No comments: